Partner BSc (Hons) MRICS IRRV
Roger Dunlop is a founding partner of Ashwell Rogers and specialises in rent reviews, lease renewals, rating appeals and valuations. Although coming originally from Northern Ireland, Roger studied at university in Edinburgh before gaining his professional qualifications whilst working in the Islington & Hackney Valuation Office in central London. Indeed, despite being a long term resident in Kent, throughout his entire working life Roger has been based in central London.
In 1986 Roger joined Morgan Grenfell Laurie, which subsequently became Michael Laurie, and this is where he first started working with the other three founding partners of Ashwell Rogers. During his time at Michael Laurie, Roger was an Associate Director in the Valuation and Rating Department where he gained experience in both the rental and capital valuations of large property portfolios and individual properties.
Although actively involved with all types of commercial property, Roger has specialised in the field of rental valuations and landlord and tenant negotiations for rent reviews and lease renewals and in dealing with rating valuation appeals in both the central London office and national retail markets. Accordingly, Roger is a skilled negotiator but also has considerable experience of 3rd party proceedings (i.e. Arbitration and Independent Expert representations) and also in acting as an Expert Witness during Lease Renewal procedures. In addition, he regularly represents clients before the Valuation Tribunal on rating appeal cases.
- 4 years at The Valuation Office in Central London.
- Original background in rating and valuation work.
- 10 years at Michael Laurie - Head of Rating Department.
- Over 20 years experience of landlord and tenant and rating matters.
- Founding Partner - Ashwell Rogers
Some of Roger's most notable recent achievements include:
- Obtaining the instruction from Genus UK Limited t/a “Select” (a ladies fashion retailer) to provide advice on all professional aspects of their property portfolio, comprising about 140 retail stores throughout England and Wales.
- Being retained to act for the out-of-town retailer, Toy R Us Limited, on rating appeals under both the 2005 and 2010 Rating Lists.
- Retained by Sportsdirect.com Retail Limited, the largest sports retailer in the UK, to deal with rent reviews on several of their large high street stores throughout the UK.
- Negotiating a nil increase on the rent review of a 22,000 sq ft contained office building in central London for the tenant and agreeing a re-gearing of the lease, thereby securing a capital payment equivalent to 12 months rent from the landlord in return for the removal of a tenant only break clause.
- Providing valuations for a major German Bank for loan security purposes of a £60 million shopping centre in the North-East of England and a £36 million office building in the West End of London.
- Until they went into Administration at the end of 2008 he had also advised Whittard of Chelsea exclusively on all rent review and lease renewal matters since the inception of Ashwell Rogers back in January 1996 and dealt with the appeals against their rating assessments on all Rating Lists since the introduction of the 1990 Rating List through to the end of the 2005 Rating List.
Department: Professional / Rating
Address: 33 Cork Street, W1S 3NQ
Tel: 020 7758 3281
Mobile: 07946 683 855